Life and Training... with an Attitude.

Life and Training... with an Attitude.
Train hard. Suck. Figue out why you suck. Train harder. Fix it. Be awesome.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

A Better Wheel

 
When reinventing the wheel is a good thing.... 





“Let’s not try and reinvent the wheel.”

I am pretty sure I have used this expression many times throughout my life.  And honestly, I would very much like to punch myself in the face for every time I have said it.
 
I have been thinking:  how STUPID is this phrase? 

While there is a valid point in there somewhere (I think), the truth is it is a used as damn cop out.  Let me translate it for you:

“Don’t try to be unique.  Don’t rock the boat.  Do what everyone else is doing and has done and you will be fine.  Baaaaaaa baaaaaaa baaaaaaaaa”
-          The White Sheep

   CrossFit was CREATED with the notion of “reinventing the wheel”.  While the sports they used and the movements they preached were anything but new, the idea of a community based upon a training program of constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity  was certainly unique.  The bonds created with complete strangers when walking into a brand new gym for the first time was new.  Giving a meaning behind your training that far surpassed pounds on the scale and inches around your waist was new.  The sport of fitness… well hell that is just crazy. 

   But the point is CrossFit has set out to be unique and be different and “reinvent the wheel” from the moment it started.  And for the most of us, that is exactly how we found CrossFit.  Sick and tired of the same ol’ bulls**t wheel going round and round… we wanted – no we NEEDED – something different.  Enter CrossFit. 

   We did high rep Olympic lifts.  We did kipping pull ups.  We went as hard and as fast as we could all in the name of faster times and higher scores.  We busted our shins on boxes and we tore our hands on barbells.  We climbed ropes we couldn’t climb in high school and we ran races we never dreamed of attempting even as kids.  We wanted a different wheel dammit. 

   And isn’t all training just people reinventing the wheel?  I mean, at SOME POINT didn’t some person have to say, “Hey… I mean picking up rocks is cool and stuff.  And the logs are sweet and all but… what if we made a bar that we could actually grab?”  And then didn’t ANOTHER PERSON have to say, “That’s a sweet bar… hey here is a crazy idea!  Now hear me out… why don’t we take that bar and LAUNCH it over our head with as much weight on it as we can possibly lift?? Sounds awesome right?  Let’s try it!” How about the first person to run 100 miles?  Or climb K2? 

   I didn’t get into CrossFit to be a follower.  I didn’t get into CrossFit to be a white sheep and just follow what all the “cool” kids are doing.  I started doing CrossFit to get outside of my comfort zone and never accept the status quo.  And as a coach that will never change. 

   So if you are a part of the CrossFit ECC family or you are wondering what my vision is for CrossFit ECC, here it is:

   I will never just sit back and wait for other people to do awesome stuff for their gym and their members and then copy them.  I am not going to do things just because other people are doing it.  I will continually strive to find the best ways to train and I will push the limits so that my members and my athletes are always getting my 10000000% best effort.  My passion is for our community and our members and I will never stop working my ass for you all. 

   It is going to be an amazing year.  For those already with us at CrossFit ECC you already know what I am talking about.  For those about to join and for those of you will join but just don’t know it yet, BE EXCITED FOR THE BEST YEAR EVER. 
  


No comments:

Post a Comment