Life and Training... with an Attitude.

Life and Training... with an Attitude.
Train hard. Suck. Figue out why you suck. Train harder. Fix it. Be awesome.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

CrossFit ECC

When they were a pair.... #imissmyrightshoe

As some of you may know, I used to write a weekly blog while working at my previous two gyms, CrossFit Koa and the Attitude Nation Gym.  I went on a brief hiatus as my career underwent some changes.  Nothing big really, just became an OWNER OF A CROSSFIT GYM!!!!!!!!!

Along with an old friend Bryan Healy, I am now building an affiliate within his sports complex in Edison, NJ.  I hate using this expression because I fear that it gets used too much but truly this is a dream come true.  Not because of money or status or anything like that… but because now I have a chance to guide a gym and a group of people in what I believe is the absolute best direction possible.  I have a chance to build a CrossFit gym the way I have always believed it should be done. 

As we are in our infant stages, I want to share with the world a glimpse of my vision.  I am not trying to reinvent the wheel (another phrase I hate using because of overuse) but instead make the best damn wheel ever seen.  Here are some points:

-          Thanks to Jon and Jessica North as well as THE Travis Mash, I learned what it truly means to be a black sheep.  And that is what my gym will be.  What do I mean by that?  Well as the Owner / Head Coach / Head Decision Maker I will not just follow a course of action “just because” its what every other gym or owner does.  I will not watch a video online then blindly try to apply it to our programming and instruction because the person in the video competed in the Games.   I will not teach what I don’t know and I will not guess at what is the best for my members.  I will not follow another program not designed with my members best interests in mind.  I will work tirelessly to make sure that my members are receiving the absolute BEST not just in the gym but as a coach, mentor and friend outside the gym as well. 

-          I have been fortunate enough to meet and learn from some of the most amazing coaches and athletes in the world during my career.  This network has only grown during recent years and I am lucky to now have a great number of colleagues to speak with, exchange ideas with, debate with and rely on for support and guidance when needed.  I am smart enough to know what I don’t know and many of these men and women have already forgotten more than most of us will EVER know.  With my existing knowledge and experience and this kind of network to assist me, CrossFit ECC is going to be one heck of a place to train. 

-          The word “box” became commonly used for CrossFit gyms because most gyms resembled exactly that… a box.  They vary in size and shape but most CrossFit gyms fit this mold.  At CrossFit ECC we are NOT your typical “box”.  We have batting cages.  We have open turf fields.  We have a full court basketball court.  We have trails right outside our back door.  We have a real chance at providing a unique and fun atmosphere for our members.  Training should never be monotonous and something you dread, and we will constantly be finding ways to make sure your workouts are never either of those things.  Greg Glassman stressed that we should always try new sports… believe me that will be happening at CrossFit ECC!!!!

       These are just a few quick points… there is much more in store and when you come down and join us at CrossFit ECC you will see!

        Next week I am going to recap my thoughts on the CrossFit Open workouts thus far.  Lots to talk about! 

            TIP OF THE WEEK:
        If you are doing the CrossFit Open and are looking to improve your score by repeating workouts, understand what your capabilities are and are not.  There are plenty of great coaches out there posting informative videos on developing strategies and how to attack each workout.  However, most of these instructions are for top level athletes with little to no real weaknesses.  It is important you rely on the advice of your own coach and what they tell you.  Even if you are participating in these workouts for fun, remember it is much more fun to do your best rather than be left frustrated feeling that you could have done better.  Have a strategy that is realistic and applicable to YOU as an athlete.  While they dont always work out as planned, it is much better to go in prepared than to not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment